Friday, August 5, 2011

Jul 30th:: The Sound of Music…and what happens back stage

The show went on without a hitch on stage! I had such a blast last night. And I think there was a real energy and excitement in the audience when they realized the power of what they were sitting through. Titusville Playhouse’s opening night of “The Sound of Music” was magical.

Even now, I feel like I am running through this weeks to do lists, feeling like I forgot stuff. Did I finish those nun bibs? Check. The nazi arm bands? Check check, ugh. What about the hair pieces. Oh god, I hope I didn’t lose one. Where did I stick my super comfy black pumps?

Still no idea about that. But I have until tonight to find those.

I confess: There was one moment last night when I thought I’d really screwed up.

I’m kind of a freak about being on time. When people are late, it’s stressful. Especially when we’re moments from the curtain swinging open. Worst case scenario is that you play it off and continue on with the scene. But that’s not the “ultimate ending.”

So, before the party scene I was ‘a fixin’ people’s hair and lost track of time, and the fact that I still had to figure out how to attach a broken bow tie to a dude’s shirt. Suddenly the song before our big waltzing scene was playing and I found that the zipper on the back of my dress had busted! Holy crayola! Thank goodness for swiftly fingered nuns and safety pins.

And that was my close call. :) Lesson learned? Make sure I am dressed and ready before fussing with everyone else.

***

I seriously love our backdrop mural. The audience sees about a third of it, but every night I look at it and melt a little. This isn’t no po-dunk production. This is art!

No comments: