Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July 21st:: The sick method actress speaks, because it is what she does best.

I’d like to think that if I was very serious about pursuing the theatrical arts, that I’d be a method actor. The way they throw their lives out of whack in order to better understand this character they’re attempting to be is fascinating. It is elevated make believe. And make believe is my favorite part of childhood.

In the Sound of Music (which opens July 29th at the Titusville Playhouse) I portray 3 very unimportant walk on characters. But I strive to commit the crap out of them. When I am a nun, I am the most pious, naive, married-est to God of them all. When I am Baroness Elberfield I am the epitome of social butterfly. And in the end, when I win third place in the talent show, I accept it with pride, shock, and determination to keep the family business afloat through such tumultuous political times. 

Life threw the role of “sickly person” at me and I hesitantly accepted. Then embraced it. And now I’m sick of it. Erm. Tired of it.

Today I tried something new. I method acted that I was fine. I rationalized that if I denied my suffering, it would go away entirely.

Welp. I’m still sick. But I did get a lot done today, and I plan on seeing a doctor tomorrow. I am the determined patient, committed to getting better so I can sing my lungs out this weekend—if it’s the last thing I do!

Just kidding, I have bigger aspirations than that.

No comments: