Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Fall Schedule Saga Continues…

Remember how I was gushing about the ArtsBridge program?

As soon as I clicked “publish” things went downhill.

I received an email from my old English teacher that expressed that while she had looked forward to working with my in the program, the school’s administration wasn’t interested in hosting any interns. This was really hard news, because at this point, ArtsBridge was the eggs and the basket perched precariously on top on top of my fence of security. As soon as my plans toppled, I became angry because why would a publish school reject college educated volunteers who were willing to do whatever it took to help struggling students learn. This further fueled my dislike how the modern educational is being run, but I will not dwell on that because clearly they don’t want anyone’s help.

Yes, my pride is still a little hurt by that door slamming in my face.

But recently, God hasn’t left doors closed for long without indicating another way “in.” Its funny, because even as I type this I realize that I might have been knocking on the wrong house’s door.

I went to speak to a University faculty member about the internship, and what the next step would be if I were to continue pursuing the program. Its difficult to get really involved with University affiliated programs because I have such a long commute. But my last semester is this fall, so I was kind of willing to sacrifice.

“You know, I’m not sure ArtsBridge is what you really want…” The faculty member said. At first, I was a little taken aback, because I had my heart set on something. But I could tell by the enthusiastic smirk across her face that she had something to propose.

And she did. There is a second program at the University that is essentially ArtsBridge minus the restraints of an educational establishment. Use arts, writing and creativity to help whomever you want. I could go into a grade school and teach poetry. I could facilitate creative writing workshops in nursing homes. She explained that in this second program, I have all the control; and because of my “go getter” attitude it would be perfect for me.

Talk about taking my cheap old plastic pearls and replacing them with the real deal.*

I felt on top of the world after hearing this news. I just wish that I could have this kind of luck in the whole car situation. We’ve got a lead on a car, but honestly, I’m struggling to keep optimistic about it. I believe words have power, but I also have a habit of setting my expectations low with the hopes of avoiding disappointment.

My fingers are crossed.

 

*My dad told me this parable when I was a kid. I’ll write the whole thing down tomorrow. Its a great object lesson.  

No comments: