Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Costume Institute Gala 2011

Its one of those events that I forget happens every year, then I stumble across some pictures from it and think: “Oh! Pretty fashion. I’ve forgotten you exist!”

If you don’t know what the Costume Institute Gala is, then I’ll describe my understanding. A bunch of rich and famous celebrities and models gather under a fancy tent showing off the most stunning designer gowns they can find. Its like award season on steroids.

It was through the Costume Institute Gala that I discovered my favorite designer and dress:

Charlize Theron John Galliano AngloMania Gala JvnczRRwMR4l

Oh, John Galliano. God rest your career. :(

This year was kind of off. Most of the women looked tired and a little disheveled. Maybe it’s a trend? Here’s Anna’s list WORST, BEST and WHY DID HER STYLIST LET HER LEAVE THE LIMO IN THAT THING dressed.

WORST:

beyoncecig

Oh, Beyonce. You are so stunning, but this isn’t your best look. Let your hair down, and go back to a colorful wardrobe. My eyes will thank you. demicig 

The silhouette of this dress isn’t that bad. It kind of follows a couple of the really popular trends of the night: Poe and Feathers. I just want to know what’s coming out of the back of your head.

 naomicig

Remember that wedding shower game when girls have five minutes to throw together a wedding dress made of toilet paper? Well, the designer of this dress had an advantage because he or she had a strange gold lacy thing to attach her strips.

reneecig

Oh no! Renee’s hips are gone!

fergiecig

The train of this skirt is nice… I’d like it better if the 1980s bridal top was the same off-white color, because together it looks like she’s been trampling through tea. I don’t think Fergie is enthralled with the look either. 

BEST:

ashleycig

I think this is Mary Kate. This look is pretty straightforward and simple, but the sleeves are what made it a “best.”  She’s a petite girl, but those huge sleeves don’t distract us from her pretty face. She is wearing this dress. :)

taylorcig

Taylor swift always looks pretty on the red carpet. This is a little departure from her fairy princess look into a little sophisticated Goth. Her red lips mean business.

prettytangirlcig

I forgot her name, so I’ll her pretty tan girl. Pretty tan girl should wear this color all the time. It’s stunning! I love that fabric’s dimension and how it hangs so flattering against her figure. If I could tweak one thing, I’d pick a wider belt. That would take it up just a notch from “pretty look” to “bam! I’m a rock star.”

  jennifercig

YES!!! Thank you Jennifer. I love full ball gowns. This dress, while voluminous, has so many light, airy fabrics that it looks like its been ensemble by a flock of silk worms.

 amycig

Hi Amy, you are really funny. You also turned it out for this event. While that flattering blue dress looks so old hollywood, your gold necklace makes it modern and hip. A little tip: I wouldn’t part your air so tight down the middle. A soft hairstyle would have looked lovely with this dress.

WHY DID HER STYLIST LET HER LEAVE THE LIMO IN THAT THING

 urinaldresscig sheetdresscig

Upside-down-urinal dress, meet bedsheet dress. You two should play hide and seek.

No comments: